Informations

Histoire de Portland, Maine


Portland, la plus grande ville et le plus important port maritime du Maine, est située sur la baie de Casco, à 110 miles au nord-est de Boston. Portland est situé sur une péninsule de trois milles de long et un mille de large, ainsi qu'une autre péninsule à l'est (anciennement la ville indépendante de Deering) et certains territoires et îles du continent. Portland a été colonisée pour la première fois en 1632, mais a subi des raids indiens. en 1675 et 1690. Pendant la guerre d'indépendance, les Britanniques ont bombardé et brûlé Portland, mais il a été reconstruit en 1786. Le Maine a obtenu son indépendance du Massachusetts en 1820 et Portland est devenue la capitale du Maine, conservant cette position jusqu'en 1831. L'activité maritime de Portland a décliné après le monde Première guerre, mais plus tard relancé. Le poète Henry Wadsworth Longfellow est né à Portland en 1807, dans ce qu'on appelle maintenant la maison Wadsworth-Longfellow, qui avait été construite vers 1785 par son grand-père, le général Peleg Wadsworth. La Maine Historical Society entretient la maison en tant que musée.Cyrus H.K. Curtis est né à Portland en 1850, et est parti à l'âge de 16 ans pour chercher fortune. Ses deux conditions étaient qu'il soit construit par l'Austin Organ Company de Hartford et qu'il soit un mémorial à Hermann Kotzschmar. Kotzschmar, un immigrant allemand qui fut pendant 47 ans l'organiste de la First Parish Church Unitarian Universalist à Portland, avait été un ami proche de la famille Curtis lorsqu'il est arrivé à Portland en 1849, à tel point que le nom complet de l'éditeur était Cyrus Hermann Kotzschmar Curtis. L'orgue commémoratif Kotzschmar reste une caractéristique de l'hôtel de ville de Portland à ce jour. L'hôpital général du Maine a ouvert ses portes en 1874 avec 40 lits. L'infirmerie des yeux et des oreilles du Maine a suivi en 1890 et l'hôpital pour enfants en 1908. En 1951, les trois ont fusionné pour devenir le Maine Medical Center. Le diocèse catholique de Portland a ouvert l'hôpital Queen's en 1918 pour soigner les victimes de l'épidémie de grippe de 1918. Il était dirigé par les Sisters of Mercy et devint plus tard l'hôpital Mercy. Le musée d'art de Portland a été fondé en 1882 et est le plus grand art public musée dans le Maine. Le Maine College of Art, fondé en 1882 en tant qu'annexe du musée d'art, est le plus ancien établissement d'enseignement artistique du Maine.


Histoire de Portland, Maine - Histoire

À propos de Falmouth - Origines coloniales

« Un monde en marge » : des Almouchiquois à New Casco

L'histoire de Falmouth commence avec les Amérindiens qui se sont installés dans la région il y a environ 14 000 ans à la suite de la fonte des glaciers à la fin de la dernière période glaciaire. Des preuves archéologiques suggèrent que l'agriculture est arrivée dans la région entre les années 1300-1400 de notre ère. Au moment où l'explorateur français Samuel de Champlain a établi un contact européen dans la région en 1605, il a identifié les personnes vivant entre la rivière Androscoggin et Cape Ann, Massachusetts comme étant les «Almouchiquois». Au sein des Almouchiquois, un capitaine de bande semi-autonome John Smith a appelé le “Aucocisco” habité Casco Bay. L'explorateur anglais Christopher Levett a observé en 1623 que leur chef (connu sous le nom de Sagamore) Skitterygusset, résidait aux chutes Presumpscot. Les Almouchiquois ont subi deux tragédies avant la colonisation anglaise qui ont empêché les savants d'en savoir beaucoup sur eux. Premièrement, la guerre avec les Micmacs au nord dans un conflit que les érudits ont plus tard qualifié de guerre de Tarrentine a apporté la défaite et la mort aux Indiens du sud du Maine. Deuxièmement, une épidémie entre 1616 et 19 a coûté la vie à plus de 90 % de la population indigène de la Nouvelle-Angleterre. Lorsque les Anglais ont commencé à s'installer dans la baie de Casco dans les années 1630, il ne restait que des vestiges des Almouchiquois de langue algonquienne dans la région.

Les premières années de Falmouth ont été marquées par une violence extrême car elle se trouvait sur une zone frontalière entre les Européens et les Amérindiens. La baie de Casco représentait le point le plus septentrional de la colonisation anglaise jusque dans les années 1700. De puissantes tribus abénaquises s'étendant jusqu'au Canada français vivaient à l'ouest et au nord de Falmouth. De nombreuses guerres entre 1675-1763 entre les Anglais, les Français et les Amérindiens ont rarement laissé Falmouth indemne de la violence. Les Anglais ont abandonné à deux reprises la baie de Casco sous la pression des attaques françaises et indiennes en 1676 et 1690.

Arthur Mackworth fut le premier résident européen de la ville, construisant une maison dans les années 1630 sur la rivière Presumpscot. Plus tard, les colons anglais ont suivi l'exemple de Mackworth en s'installant sur le Presumpscot, à proximité immédiate de la majeure partie de la population anglaise de la péninsule connue sous le nom de Casco (maintenant Portland). Les frontières d'aujourd'hui Falmouth était connue sous le nom de "New Casco" et était un village au sein de la plus grande colonie de Casco. La ville actuelle de Falmouth serait connue sous le nom de « New Casco » jusqu'à ce que Portland se sépare en 1786.

Bien que la ville soit connue sous le nom de New Casco, c'est au cours de cette première période que le nom de Falmouth a été associé pour la première fois à la région. En 1658, la Massachusetts Bay Colony prit le contrôle du Maine, malgré la résistance locale. Le Massachusetts a rebaptisé les colonies de Casco Bay “Falmouth” après une importante bataille de la guerre civile anglaise qui s'est déroulée à Falmouth, en Angleterre. Le Massachusetts a probablement choisi le nom "Falmouth" pour célébrer sa conquête du Maine, reflétant symboliquement la victoire des forces parlementaires sur les royalistes à Falmouth, en Angleterre, en 1646. Communément appelé "Falmouth on Casco Bay" pour le distinguer du Falmouth à Cape Cod, les limites de la ville d'origine comprenaient Cape Elizabeth, South Portland, Westbrook, Portland et la ville actuelle

Dans un effort pour améliorer les relations avec les Amérindiens locaux, les Anglais ont construit un fort appelé New Casco en 1700 sur le legs des Abénakis locaux qui souhaitaient un endroit pratique pour échanger et réparer leurs armes. L'emplacement du fort serait aujourd'hui situé en face du cimetière de Pine Grove sur la route 88. Une rencontre en 1701 entre les Abénakis-Pigwackets locaux et les autorités coloniales du Massachusetts a cimenté l'alliance entre les deux peuples. Une paire de cairns de pierre ont été érigés comme symboles de cette amitié. Les îles voisines de Two Brothers au large des côtes ont plus tard reçu leur nom de ce monument oublié depuis longtemps. Malheureusement, la paix ne durera pas car la guerre de la reine Anne éclate dans la région deux ans plus tard. Les Français ont envoyé des milices micmacs, mohawks et françaises pour attaquer la côte du Maine et perturber cette nouvelle alliance anglaise avec les peuples autochtones du sud du Maine. Le gouverneur du Massachusetts, Joseph Dudley, s'est rendu à New Casco en juin 1703 dans une vaine tentative de tenir les Amérindiens locaux hors de la guerre. Six semaines plus tard, Fort New Casco était assiégé par les forces d'invasion amérindiennes et françaises. L'arrivée d'un navire armé du Massachusetts a sauvé les Anglais blottis à l'intérieur de Fort New Casco. La paix est revenue en 1713, mais trois ans plus tard, le Massachusetts a ordonné la démolition du fort. La destruction de Fort New Casco symbolisait l'abandon par le Massachusetts de sa politique de recherche de l'amitié des Amérindiens locaux.

Tant que les Français contrôlaient le Canada, vivre à l'est de la rivière Presumpscot à New Casco était une proposition dangereuse. Une seule famille vivait dans la ville en 1725. La croissance de la population anglaise et la défaite française lors de la guerre du roi George (1744-1748) ont déplacé la frontière entre les Amérindiens et les Anglais au nord de Midcoast Maine. En 1753, New Casco comptait 62 familles et était assez grande pour former sa propre paroisse. Cependant, les Amérindiens ont continué à cibler New Casco, comme en témoignent un raid en 1748 et la mort du résident John Burnal en 1751.

La chute de Québec aux mains des Britanniques en 1759 a éloigné les Français de l'Amérique du Nord, privant les groupes amérindiens voisins d'un allié important et a officiellement mis fin aux 130 années précédentes de malaise ou de guerre pure et simple à Falmouth. Les Français n'étant plus en mesure de fournir des armes à la résistance amérindienne, peu de choses s'opposaient à une nouvelle expansion anglaise sur leur territoire. Les populations amérindiennes locales ont également été considérablement réduites par la maladie, la plupart migrant vers le nord et l'ouest pour rejoindre les plus grandes communautés autochtones où elles restent aujourd'hui. La période coloniale avait déterminé que les futurs habitants de Falmouth parleraient anglais, et non français ou algonquin.


Histoire du Maine en ligne

Images de la Maine Historical Society

Des dizaines de milliers de dockers, anciennement appelés débardeurs, ont travaillé sur les quais du front de mer de Portland pendant la majeure partie des 150 dernières années.

De nombreux immigrants irlandais, en grande partie des travailleurs non qualifiés, ont fait leurs débuts économiques en tant que débardeurs. Ces emplois leur ont permis de bâtir l'avenir de leur famille à Portland.

Le travail était difficile, le temps hivernal souvent brutal et la nature instable de la problématique de la main-d'œuvre, présentant ainsi des défis à la fois aux débardeurs et à leurs familles. Mais, cela leur a aussi offert une opportunité.

Le long du front de mer de Portland, une grande partie du travail manuel lourd au début du XIXe siècle était effectué par une petite mais importante communauté noire de dockers, dont beaucoup vivaient au pied de Munjoy Hill.

Certains de ces ouvriers étaient venus à Portland en suivant le commerce de la mélasse des Antilles. En important de grandes quantités de cette substance sombre et collante, Portland est devenu un important fournisseur de sucre raffiné, notamment par l'intermédiaire de la raffinerie de sucre J. B. Brown sur le front de mer.

Les autres sous-produits de la mélasse étaient le rhum et d'autres formes d'alcool, distillés à la brasserie McGlinchy et dans d'autres entreprises légales et semi-légales dans toute la ville.

L'histoire maritime de Portland et son importance commerciale ont radicalement changé en 1853 lorsque la ville a été reliée par chemin de fer à Montréal par le chemin de fer de l'Atlantique et du Saint-Laurent (plus tard connu sous le nom de Grand Trunk).

C'était le rêve de John A. Poor qui voyait le potentiel de Portland comme un grand port mondial reliant, par bateau à vapeur et par rail, les marchés du continent américain avec les centres maritimes de l'Europe. Poor croyait que Portland pourrait éventuellement rivaliser avec les grandes villes de la Baltique.

Le développement de Portland en tant que principal port d'hiver du Canada a été important, même s'il n'a jamais tout à fait atteint le niveau de la vision de la grandeur de Poor. Le principal produit manutentionné par le port de Portland était le grain canadien, en particulier de novembre à avril lorsque le fleuve Saint-Laurent était gelé, faisant de Montréal et Québec des villes enclavées.

À partir de 1853, de grands navires à vapeur arrivèrent à Portland avec une régularité croissante au cours de l'hiver, donnant aux débardeurs un travail stable et finalement de plus en plus lucratif. Cette connexion ferroviaire a coïncidé avec l'arrivée d'une immigration à grande échelle en provenance d'Irlande dans les années qui ont immédiatement suivi la famine dévastatrice de la pomme de terre à la fin des années 1840.

Bien que bon nombre des premiers colons irlandais du Maine soient originaires du nord du pays, principalement des presbytériens écossais-irlandais d'Ulster, les nouveaux immigrants de l'ère de la famine venaient en grande partie des régions occidentales les plus pauvres de l'Irlande. La plupart des immigrants post-famine à Portland venaient du comté de Galway, avec sa forte tradition de langue irlandaise (gaélique).

Dans un processus connu sous le nom de « migration en chaîne », un membre de la famille est arrivé et a ouvert la voie à d'autres, généralement en envoyant « de l'argent d'Amérique » pour aider à couvrir les frais de passage sur les bateaux à vapeur.

Un endroit où ces nouveaux immigrants irlandais pouvaient trouver du travail à Portland était le long du front de mer. Au milieu du XIXe siècle, les Irlandais avaient déjà remplacé les dockers noirs. Le travail devenant plus régulier et plus attractif, au moins pendant les mois d'hiver, les dockers irlandais ont tenté de formaliser et de garantir leurs conditions de travail. Dans les années 1860, une association de débardeurs irlandais exigeait des salaires plus élevés, en particulier pendant les périodes de prospérité autour de la guerre civile.

En 1880, ces dockers pour la plupart irlandais se sont constitués en société sous le nom de Portland Longshoremen's Benevolent Society (PLSBS). La plupart des membres fondateurs du PLSBS étaient irlandais et beaucoup d'entre eux étaient principalement des locuteurs irlandais - gaéliques. L'un des statuts du PLSBS stipulait qu'"Aucun homme de couleur ne doit être membre de cette société".

La transformation du travail maritime du noir au vert s'était produite et il n'y aurait pas de retour en arrière. Le racisme anti-noir n'était pas unique à Portland, mais il était ironique étant donné l'histoire ancienne des Noirs sur son front de mer ainsi que le fait que l'évêque catholique du diocèse de Portland à cette époque, James Augustine Healy (1875-1900), était à moitié noir et à moitié irlandais.

Les immigrants irlandais se sont rassemblés dans deux quartiers principaux et les rues les reliant le long du front de mer de Portland : l'extrémité ouest, plus tard connue sous le nom de Gorham's Corner, avec sa paroisse Saint Dominique (la plus ancienne église catholique de Portland, datant de 1833) et l'extrémité est, mieux connu sous le nom de Munjoy Hill, avec sa cathédrale de l'Immaculée Conception (1866).

La nature paroissiale de la vie à Galway, avec des différences régionales reflétant des distances géographiques apparemment petites, avait migré intact vers Portland. Souvent, les enfants d'un de ces quartiers connaissaient à peine les rues ou les habitants de l'autre, même s'ils étaient distants d'à peine un kilomètre.

Parce que tant de débardeurs irlandais de Portland avaient des noms de famille similaires à Galway, tels que Joyce, Connolly, Folan/Foley, O'Malley ou Gorham, un trait culturel commun en Irlande, l'utilisation de surnoms pour ceux qui ont des noms de famille communs, a survécu à Portland .

Quelques-uns des surnoms aux racines gaéliques sont Bád ní ngean (pelote de laine), Bartla Tadhg (Bartley Timothy), Cockaneeney (Cac an éinín, ou fientes d'oiseaux), greenhorn geimhridh (immigrant arrivant en hiver), Paddy na gcnoc (Patrick des collines) et Philipín (petit ou jeune Philip).

D'autres surnoms étaient souvent assez comiques, tels que Average Man, Blessed Virgin, Broken Dishes, Leaky Roof, Paper Legs, Senator Cleghorn, Shaggy Dog, Soup Bone et Ya-Ya.

La plupart des débardeurs étaient catholiques romains. Chaque évêque depuis la création du diocèse de Portland en 1855 avait un nom de famille irlandais identifiable, comme Bacon, Healy, O'Connell, Walsh, Murray, McCarthy, Feeney, Gerety, O'Leary, Gerry et Malone.

Au XIXe siècle, il y avait de nombreuses organisations sociales, culturelles et politiques irlandaises à Portland, y compris la Portland Longshoremen's Benevolent Society, dont le nombre maximal de 1 366 membres a été enregistré en 1919.

Au début des années 1920, cependant, il a commencé un déclin constant du travail et des membres. Dans les années 1920, le gouvernement canadien a modernisé les ports d'Halifax, en Nouvelle-Écosse, et de Saint John, au Nouveau-Brunswick, pour traiter les « marchandises canadiennes en provenance des ports canadiens ». entre 1853 et 1923.

Malgré une brève reprise positive du fret maritime en raison de la Seconde Guerre mondiale, la main-d'œuvre maritime de Portland a continué de décliner. Finalement, Portland est devenu connu essentiellement comme un port pétrolier, avec le Portland Pipeline qui gère les expéditions de pétrole à Montréal. Cependant, le pétrole ne demandait pas beaucoup de main-d'œuvre et les débardeurs cherchaient en vain des marchandises à expédier depuis ce port en eau profonde, ou des importations qui pourraient être traitées à Portland.

Au début du 21e siècle, le port de Portland était largement devenu une ressource naturelle sans fonction clairement définie.


Lieux importants de l'histoire afro-américaine de Portland

Les communautés noires de Portland façonnent l'histoire, les paysages et l'architecture de la ville depuis sa fondation. En tant que grande ville portuaire, Portland était à la fois une étape du chemin de fer clandestin et le foyer d'une communauté florissante de Noirs libres qui travaillaient au bord de l'eau ou pour les chemins de fer commerciaux. Quelques-uns des bâtiments qui racontent leurs histoires restent debout, principalement dans le quartier de la rue India, qui a été fondé par des Afro-Américains libres qui ont prospéré dans l'économie maritime de Portland. Ces bâtiments sont présentés ci-dessous.

L'écriture sur ces lieux historiques est basée sur des informations provenant des publications suivantes. Veuillez consulter ces ressources précieuses pour une lecture plus approfondie :

En septembre 2017, les ressources afro-américaines du 19e siècle ont été ajoutées à la liste des lieux en péril de Greater Portland Landmarks. Les ressources et les bâtiments historiques survivants racontent l'histoire des citoyens afro-américains qui ont contribué à la solide histoire de Portland. Trois zones de la péninsule de la ville abritaient historiquement les résidents noirs de Portland : Newbury Street près de l'Abyssinian Meeting House, Lafayette Street sur Munjoy Hill près de Mansfield's Livery Stable et dans le quartier de St. John-Valley Street à proximité de la gare Union, un important employeur à de nombreuses familles afro-américaines du quartier. Les trois zones historiquement associées à la communauté afro-américaine de Portland sont soit en train de se réaménager rapidement, soit mûres pour un réaménagement. Dans les efforts de préservation à ce jour, ces modestes habitations et bâtiments institutionnels associés à l'histoire des Noirs de Portland ont été largement éclipsés par des bâtiments plus grands et plus élaborés.

The Abyssin Meeting House, 73 Newbury Street, (1828) : Construit en 1828 comme lieu de culte, l'Abyssinian Meeting House est la troisième plus ancienne maison de réunion afro-américaine aux États-Unis et a une importance historique locale, nationale et nationale. L'Abyssin est devenu le centre de la vie sociale et politique de la communauté afro-américaine de Portland au 19ème siècle. Lorsque le grand incendie ravageait la ville, la communauté qui comptait sur les Abyssins s'est ralliée pour couvrir le toit de couvertures humides et le sauver avec succès de l'incendie. Le bâtiment servait d'église et d'école publique séparée, ainsi qu'une salle pour des concerts, des dîners et des divertissements. Ses membres et prédicateurs comprenaient d'anciens esclaves, des dirigeants du mouvement des chemins de fer clandestins et de fervents défenseurs de l'abolition de l'esclavage aux États-Unis. Le Meeting House a été fermé en 1917, converti en appartements en 1924, et finalement abandonné et repris par la ville de Portland pour les arriérés d'impôts. En 1998, le Comité pour la restauration de l'Abyssin a acheté la propriété et a commencé sa restauration. Le comité continue de faire des progrès sur la restauration ainsi que la sensibilisation de ce bâtiment d'importance nationale. Pour plus d'informations ou pour vous impliquer, visitez leur site Web et contactez le comité. Pour la vue Landmarks de l'Abyssin, cliquez ici.

La maison Abraham Niles, 77, rue Newbury (vers 1840) : Construite à côté de la maison de réunion abyssinienne, la maison Abraham Niles est également un survivant du grand incendie. Abraham Niles était un marin et un des premiers membres de l'église voisine. La famille Niles a vécu dans la maison jusqu'à la fin du 19ème siècle.

L'école du Nord, 248, rue du Congrès (1867) : Après le grand incendie de 1866, la North School a été construite pour éduquer tous les enfants du quartier, y compris la grande population d'enfants noirs vivant dans le quartier de India Street et sur Munjoy Hill. Alors que de nombreux enseignants de la North School étaient des descendants d'immigrants irlandais, le premier enseignant noir de Portland aurait également enseigné à la North School.
Cliquez pour plus d'informations sur les écoles historiques de Portland.

Maison Ruben Ruby, 81, rue Newbury (vers 1853-1856) : Ce bâtiment a été modifié, perdant beaucoup de ses caractéristiques historiques, mais pas son importance historique. L'un des premiers occupants était Reuben Ruby, fondateur de la Maine Anti-Slavery Society. Né à Gray, dans le Maine, il était le premier chef d'orchestre du chemin de fer clandestin à Portland et a travaillé sur d'importantes publications anti-esclavagistes à Boston et dans le Maine. Il avait un stand de hack réussi, dont l'ancien emplacement est marqué sur le Portland Freedom Trail. Il a acheté et fait don du terrain pour la Maison de réunion abyssine et a financé sa construction. Son fils, William Wilberforce Ruby, était le premier pompier qui a alerté la ville du début du grand incendie de 1866 et a conduit sa communauté à protéger le toit de l'Abyssin pendant l'incendie. Pour plus d'informations sur William Wilberforce Ruby, lisez l'article de Portland Press Herald sur le Grand Incendie.

Cimetière de l'Est 224 Congrès (1668) : Certains membres de la famille Ruby sont enterrés dans le cimetière oriental. Ce cimetière est la dernière demeure de bon nombre des premiers Afro-Américains de Portland. Près de la clôture de la rue Mountfort, il y a une section du cimetière qui était à l'origine désignée pour les Noirs. Dans la première moitié du 19e siècle, de nombreuses personnalités du mouvement anti-esclavagiste de Portland, noires et blanches, ont été enterrées dans ce cimetière. Pour plus d'informations sur leur vie, lisez le Portland Freedom Trail ou contactez Spirits Alive, le groupe d'amis qui recherche, restaure et défend le cimetière oriental.

Maison John et Mary Parrs, 16, rue Federal (1870) : Bien que cette maison ait été modifiée à plusieurs reprises, la plus récente en 2015-16, la structure d'origine a été construite en 1870. La famille Parrs reflète les différentes histoires de travail des familles afro-américaines à Portland. John Parrs était propriétaire de plusieurs bâtiments dans le quartier de la rue India et marin. Son fils, Braxton était un marin et plus tard, un postier. Sa belle-fille, Amelia, était cuisinière saisonnière à Old Orchard Beach et l'une des plus anciennes résidentes de la maison Parrs. Elle était originaire de Géorgie et a une lignée familiale peu claire, peut-être née dans l'esclavage.

Le quartier de la rue Valley : En plus du quartier de India Street, le quartier de Valley Street abritait une partie importante de la communauté noire de Portland. Beaucoup dans le quartier travaillaient à la gare Union (1888-1961) ou sur le Maine Central Railroad. Ils travaillaient comme porteurs, cuisiniers et serveurs dans les trains de voyageurs, comme serveurs, matrones, bonnets rouges et cireurs de chaussures dans la gare, ou comme agents de voie et de transit dans les trains de marchandises. De nombreuses maisons existantes sur Valley et A Street étaient occupées par des familles noires de Portland. L'histoire visible des Noirs du Maine fournit plus d'informations sur l'histoire du quartier de Valley Street. Le livre présente la famille Cummings qui vivait dans ce quartier et était connue, entre autres, pour sa longue et fructueuse carrière dans le chemin de fer, en commençant par trois frères au tournant du siècle, Eddie, Tate et Leslie Cummings. Leurs enfants et petits-enfants continuent d'occuper une place importante dans le Maine en tant que leaders en matière de politique, de droits civiques et de plaidoyer pour les monuments de l'histoire des Noirs, y compris l'Abyssinian Meeting House.


Préservation historique

En 1990, la ville de Portland a adopté une ordonnance de préservation historique pour reconnaître et préserver l'un des atouts majeurs de Portland - sa riche collection d'architecture et de paysages historiques. L'ordonnance protège près de 2000 propriétés dans toute la ville, dans des quartiers aussi divers que le Vieux-Port, Stroudwater, Congress Street, le West End et Fort McKinley sur Great Diamond Island.

Le but de l'ordonnance n'est pas de empêcher changer, mais de manière réfléchie gérer, afin que le caractère unique de ces zones historiques soit conservé. Les propriétés désignées sont protégées contre la démolition et les modifications ou ajouts proposés sont examinés pour assurer la compatibilité avec la conception originale d'une propriété. Les nouvelles constructions dans les districts historiques désignés sont également examinées afin d'assurer une relation respectueuse entre le neuf et l'ancien.

Aujourd'hui, l'impact de l'ordonnance est clair : la préservation des ressources historiques stabilise les quartiers et a un sens économique. Une promenade ou une promenade en voiture dans l'un des onze quartiers historiques de Portland révèle des changements passionnants, car de plus en plus de bâtiments anciens sont soigneusement réhabilités conformément aux normes de préservation historiques et de nouveaux bâtiments compatibles sont absorbés par le mélange.

Dans le quartier Parkside, par exemple, le long de rues autrefois marquées par la dégradation des logements et la propriété des absents, se trouvent aujourd'hui des maisons rénovées dont les propriétaires occupants sont fiers de leur propriété et de leur quartier. Le long de Commercial Street, une nouvelle architecture passionnante a pris sa place à côté d'entrepôts restaurés du XIXe siècle, prouvant que les nouveaux bâtiments peuvent être à la fois contemporains et compatibles avec les structures historiques. Dans tout le réseau de parcs historiques de la Ville, des plans directeurs sont élaborés pour s'assurer que les améliorations futures respectent les conceptions originales des parcs. Tous ces projets ont été facilités par le programme de préservation historique de la Ville.

Le succès de cet important programme dépend du soutien et de la coopération des propriétaires des propriétés historiques de Portland. Avant d'entreprendre un projet qui affectera l'extérieur de votre bâtiment ou son terrain environnant, veuillez lire les informations incluses sur ce site Web et appeler le personnel de préservation historique du service de planification et de développement pour discuter de vos plans. Ils sont prêts à vous aider à trouver des solutions pratiques et abordables qui répondent à la fois à vos besoins et aux normes de l'ordonnance.


Histoire de Portland, Maine - Histoire

Histoire de Portland, Maine
De
Une Gazetteer de la
État du Maine

Par Géo. J. Varney
Publié par B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Portland, éminent pour ses installations commerciales, pour la salubrité et la beauté de sa situation, et pour l'entreprise et l'urbanité de ses citoyens, occupe le principal port de Casco Bay, dans la partie sud du comté de Cumberland. Étant le port le plus proche sur la côte atlantique des villes du Saint-Laurent, et ayant un port sûr et pratique pour les plus grands bateaux à vapeur océaniques, et ouvert en toutes saisons, il est naturellement devenu le principal port maritime des Canadas, ainsi comme de l'ouest du Maine, et les parties nord du New Hampshire et du Vermont. De la ville partent les chemins de fer de Boston et du Maine, de l'Est et de Portland et Rochester, traversant les centres d'affaires du New Hampshire et du Massachusetts, et reliant les routes à toutes les parties du continent. Le Grand Tronc de l'Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad traverse les parties nord du Vermont et du New Hampshire jusqu'aux quais des bateaux à vapeur océaniques dans le port de Portland. Le chemin de fer de Portland et d'Ogdensburg, en passant. la vallée du Saco, enfilant les White Mountains, en passant par St. Johnsbury, Vermont, et de là jusqu'au pied du lac Champlain, offrira une route encore plus courte vers le Canada et le grand Ouest. Le Maine Central avec ses branches, se connecte avec la région centrale de l'État du Penobscot presque aux lacs Rangely à Bangor, il se connecte avec le Piscataquis Railroad, et par le chemin de fer européen et nord-américain, avec les systèmes du Nouveau-Brunswick et de la Nouvelle-Écosse . Toutes ces lignes sont reliées dans la ville par le chemin de fer marginal. En plus des installations ferroviaires, des lignes de bateaux à vapeur assurent le transport de l'eau trois fois par semaine jusqu'à New York, chaque jour jusqu'à Boston, trois fois par semaine jusqu'à Bangor et les ports intermédiaires, chaque semaine jusqu'à Mount Desert et Machias, deux fois par semaine jusqu'à Eastport et St. John. , NB, et bihebdomadaire à Halifax, NS, direct. La ligne de bateaux à vapeur Allan circule chaque semaine entre Portland et Liverpool, de novembre à mai, offrant de grandes facilités d'importation et d'exportation.

La plupart des principales manufactures sont produites dans la ville ou dans ses environs, beaucoup d'entre elles en grandes quantités et d'excellence supérieure.

Le montant moyen des droits perçus à la douane de Portland depuis quelques années n'est pas loin de 900 000 $.

Les industries spéciales dans lesquelles Portland excelle toutes les autres villes, sont probablement celles des approvisionnements hermétiquement scellés et de la pêche, et de la conservation du poisson sous diverses formes.

Dans le secteur du poisson, une douzaine d'entreprises sont engagées dans le conditionnement du maquereau et du hareng. Ces entreprises, pendant la saison de 1880, emballèrent au total 80 500 barils de maquereau et 13 300 barils de hareng. La valeur marchande de ceux-ci est d'un peu moins de 500 000 $. Le nombre de navires engagés dans la pêche au maquereau est de 162 dans la pêche au hareng, 75 pour un total de 237 navires, dont les équipages sont au nombre de 3 345. Cela n'inclut pas les personnes employées à l'emballage du poisson. Une demi-douzaine d'autres entreprises sont engagées dans le traitement de la morue et d'autres poissons. Les trois qui en font le plus gros commerce, ont guéri dans la saison se terminant à la mi-octobre 1880, 50.000 quintaux. L'affinage se fait sur les îles du port. House Island est utilisé à cette fin depuis plus de 200 ans.

Portland is the smallest town in the State ia superficial area. A small peninsula jutting into the inner waters of Casco Bay, and 16 islands and parts of islands, lying at distances of from 3 to 10 miles down the bay constitute the territory of the city. This peninsula, or Neck, was called Machigonne by the Indians, which according to some means bad clay while others contend that its interpretation should be knee or elbow,-descriptive of the curving form of the peninsula. The names of the islands are Peak's, Long, Cushing's, House, Great and Little Diamond (or Hog), part of Crotch, part of Hope, Little Chebeague, Jewell's, Cow, Rain, Marsh, Overset, Crow, and Pumpkin Knob. Several of these islands are very picturesque and attractive, and 4 or 5 have hotels. The peninsula is about 3 miles long, with an average breadth of three-fourths of a mile. On the southerly side lies Cape Elizabeth, separated from Portland by an arm of the sea called Fore River, which constitutes the inner harbor. On the northerly side, is Back Cove and beyond is Peering. The peninsula has a mean elevation at the middle of more than 100 feet,-sloping gradually to the water on either side, except at the eastern and western extremities,-which rise in Munjoy's Hill at the east to the height of 161 feet and at the west, in Bramhall's Hill, to 175 feet,-ending here in a bold bluff. Munjoy's Hill affords delightful views of the waters of Casco Bay and its numerous islands, and of the ocean beyond. Bramhall commands a sea view, and a broad landscape of farm, forest and village, and beyond all, the great semicircle of the mountains. This configuration of the peninsula gives excellent drainage, while from its altitude it is bathed in the pure breezes from sea and shore, rendering it one of the most healthy cities on the globe. From end to end of the peninsula runs Congress street, the backbone of the city, 3 miles in length. Parallel with this on the east for a part of its length, are, first, Middle street, devoted chiefly to the dry goods trade second, Fore street, miscellaneous trade andthird, Commercial street, fronting the harbor, and occupied largely by wholesale traders in heavy goods of all sorts. On the western side, the streets are Cumberland second, Oxford and Portland third, Lincoln and Kennebec,-the last two running along the margin of Back Cove. The whole peninsula has above 226 streets, lanes and courts, aggregating a length of 48 miles while 29 wharves extend into the harbor, affording accommodation to vessels of every size and kind. Besides the lines of steam railways, already enumerated, there are 6 avenues for teams and foot passengers. There is also projected and partly built, a Marginal Way, 100 feet in width, running entirely around the city. Horse cars furnish easy transit between the depots of the different lines of steam cars, and the principal streets connecting also with the suburban villages of Deering Point, Woodford's Corner, and Morrill's Corner. The business of the city centres on the southerly slope below Congress street, near the middle of the peninsula. Munjoy's Hill is almost a village by itself of middle class residences, having its own churches, schools and shops. The northerly slope, back of Congress street, along its whole length, is devoted to private residences. The western end, rising gradually to the eminence of Bramhall, is the fashionable quarter and, having been spared by the great fire of 1866, now contains the oldest mansions, as well as many new and elegant edifices. A marked feature of Bramhall is the well-kept gardens and lawn surrounding the houses, and generally open to public view through open fences, or over low hedges, or guards of stone.

The slope under Bramhall toward Peering's Oaks, is now, also, becoming an inhabited place, and many handsome residences are already erected.

Portland has several excellent hotels,-the Falmouth, situated on Middle Street, being the largest. It is a magnificent structure containing 240 rooms, and 10 large stores. Its front is of Albert-stone, and its sile walls of pressed brick, with Albert-stone trimmings. The building of the first National Bank, near by, is a fine building of red-sandstone. A little farther down is the fine granite front of the Casco Bank building. The Maine Savings Bank has its rooms on the corner of Plum street. Over it is the St. Julian Hotel, a neat little house conducted on the European plan. A short distance beyond is the handsome red-freestone building of the Canal Bank. The oldest of the public houses of the city, recently enlarged and brought up to the requirement of the times, is the United States Hotel, on the eastern side of Market square, and occupying the space between Federal and Congress streets. In Stanton Block, on Exchange street, the Board of Trade has its head-quarters and here, also, is the Merchants' Exchange, with its reading-room. Close by is the elegant building of the Merchants' Bank. On the corner of Middle and Exchange streets is the Post-Office, an elegant building of Vermont marble, occupying a square by itself. Among its red brick neighbors, its chaste white walls and elegant architecture give it a somewhat ethereal look. Its cost was half a million of dollars. In the second story is the United States Court room and offices. A little further up on the same Street, is the fine block of the Portland Saving's Bank,-then the Printer's Exchange, where several papers are issued. On Congress street, at the head of Exchange, is the City Government Building, an imposing structure, having a frontage of 150 feet, a length of 221 feet, with corner towers 75 feet high, and a central dome tLat swells upward 160 feet. Its front is of a light-colored Nova Scotia Albert-stone, and the sides and rear of pressed brick with Albert-stone trimmings. Its cost was $650,000. In it, besides city and county rooms and offices, are the Public Library, containing 26,000 volumes, and the library of the Maine Historical Society. There are also two excellent halls in the building, the largest of which, an elegant apartment, will conveniently seat 2,500 people.

At the foot of Hancock street on the corner of Fore street, stands "the old square wooden house upon the edge of the sea," in which the poet Longfellow was born. Turning to Commercial street, a short walk brings us to the Custom house, a handsome structure of granite,-which also has a front on Fore street. On the opposite side of Commercial street, not far away, is the extensive and massive "Thomas Block," built by Hon. William W Thomas, one of the oldest and most successful merchants of Portland,-who has added beauty and value to the city by the erection of many elegant buildings.

The site of the first settlement in Portland is now occupied by the depot, the immense elevator, and other buildings of the Grand Trunk Railway. The settlers were George Cleeves and Richard Tucker, who here built their house, cleared land, and planted the first corn-in 1632. They were squatters at first but in 1637, Cleeves went to England and obtained from Sir Ferdinand Gorges, proprietor of this region, a grant of the peninsula on which they had built, and other neighboring lands and islands. These he parcelled out to settlers, and a small community soon grew up, and became known as Casco. Fishing, cultivation of the soil, and trade with the Indians, formed the business. in 1658, Massachusetts usurped the government of Gorges' territory, and applied the name Falmouth to Casco Neck, and a wide extent of territory about this harbor but the peninsula continued to be called Casco Neck until its incorporation as Portland in 1786. Falmouth at first embraced, in addition to the Neck, the territory now belonging to the towns of Cape Elizabeth, Peering, Westbrook and the present Falmouth. With incorporation came the settlement of a minister, and the people built the first meeting-house on the point now occupied by the Portland Company's works. The first minister was Rev. George Burroughs, a graduate of Harvard University, who began to preach there in 1674. When the town was destroye d by the Indians in 1690, he went to Danvers and two years afterwardhe was executed at Salem as a wizard. When the savages fell upon the place in 1676, of the 40 families in town, only four or five lived upon the Neck. In 1678 old settlers returned and Fort Loyal, the largest fortification on the coast, was erected on a rocky eminence where the round-house of the Grand Trunk Railway now stands. A party of Huguenots, or French Protestants, came in as settlers about this time. The town now began to prosper,-mills were set up, and roads were laid out,-mere footpaths, however, as no vehicles had yet been introduced. In 1681, the first tavern was opened. In 1688, the population of Falmouth had increased to 600 or 700, comprising 80 families, 25 of whom were on the Neck. In 1689, during the second Indian war, a large body of their warriors approached the town. Major Church, arriving with two companies just at the nick of time, met the Indians in the valley on the north side of Bramhall's Hill, and, after a sharp fight, drove them off losing in the contest eleven killed and ten wounded. The next year, 500 French and Indians, after a siege of five days, captured the fort, and carried the garrison captive to Canada.

From this time until after the close of Queen Anne's war in 1713, the place remained "deserted Casco." With its settlement in 1715, begins the second period of its history, which ends with its destruction by Mowatt in 1775. The new settlement was on nearly the same site as the old. In 1727, Rev. Thomas Smith commenced in the place his long ministry of over sixty-eight years.

In the course of half a century a great trade with the West Indies, as well as with England, sprang up so that on Nov. 1, 1766, six large ships were lying in the harbor. At the commencement of the Revolution, 2,555 tons of shipping were owned in what is now Portland: and the population was about 2,000. Its patriotism was then as prompt as has ever since been. No vantage was allowed for the enforeement of the Stamp Act the hated stamps being seized and burned as soon as they arrived and when the tax was placed upon tea, a popular assemblage resolved "that we will not buy nor sell any India tea whatever" and when the British government closed the port of Boston in 1774, the bell of Falmouth meeting-house was muffled and tolled from sunrise to sunset. Incensed by his capture and detention here in the previous spring by a party of militia from Brunswick, Capt. Henry Mowatt, in October, 1775, entered the harbor with a fleet of five war vessels, and on the 18th of that month, laid the town in ashes. The citizens nobly refused to give up their arms to secure the immunity of their village, but mostly fled into the country, taking with them what they could carry of there goods. Out of 514 buildings, only 100 dwelling-houses were left standing. Thus for the third time, the town was desolated. With the acknowledgment of our independence as a nation, a period of prosperity again began. There were not only business but social changes. "Distinctions of rank and of dress," says Elwell, "gave way before the democratic spirit of the times cocked hats, bush wigs, and breeches passed out, and pantaloons came in. Capt. Joseph Titcomb created quite a sensation when he returned home from the South, in 1790, wearing the latter form of the nether garment, the first seen here." In 1785, the first brick house in town was commenced, and the first newspaper appeared, the "Falmouth Gazette," published by Benjamin Titcomb and Thomas B. Waite. The same author previously quoted says, "In 1786, the town was divided, and the Neck, with the name of Portland, started on an independent career, with a population of about 2,000. In 1793, wharves were extended into the harbor. In 1795, Nathaniel Peering built the first brick store. In 1799, the first bank was incorporated. Trade advanced westward from the old site at the foot of India street, and in 1800, Exchange (then called Fish) street was the principal seat of business." Then the wealthier merchants began to build them more stately residences, fitted to the increasing refinement and the more lavish expenditure. Such are the Matthew Cobb house, still standing at the corner of High and Free streets the mansion built by Ebenezer Storer, on the corner of High and Danforth street that built by Joseph H. Ingraharn, on State street and the fine old mansion on the corner of High and Spring streets, long the residence of the late General Wingate all giving evidence of the architectural taste and thorough workmanship of the olden time.


The non-intercourse policy adopted by the general government in 1806, and the embargo which followed in 1807, brought a disastrous and sudden check to all this prosperity. "Navigation fell off 9,000 tons in two years and all the various classes to whom it gave support were thrown out of employment eleven commercial houses stopped payment in 1807, and many others the following year. * * * In the war of 1812, which followed, our sea-faring people manned the privateers fitted out here, some of which ran a successful career, and did great damage to the enemy, while others were soon captured by superior force, and their crews held as prisoners."

The fourth period in the history of Portland begins with the peace of 1815, and continues to the commencement of the railroad era in 1846. This was a period of slow recovery from the disasters of the war. In March 1820 the district of Maine was separated from Massachusetts and admitted into the Union as a State, and Portland became its capital. In 1823, the first steamer ever brought to Maine arrived in the harbor. This was the Patent, a vessel of about 100 tons burthen, owned by Capt. Seward Porter, of this city, who had bought her in New York to run as a passenger-boat between Boston and Portland.
Both Jonathan Morgan and Captain Porter had previously expert. mented with steamboats of their own construction the Kennebec, built by the latter in 1822, having been the first to run in Casco Bay. In 1833, the steamer Chancellor Livingston, built under the direction of Robert Fulton, ran between Portland and Boston and the Cumberland Steam Navigation Company, formed in the same year, put the steamer Commodore MeDonough on the route in opposition. The Cumberland and Oxford Canal connecting the waters of Lake Sebago with Portland Harbor, was begun in 1828, completed in 1830, at a cost of $206,000. This helped the business of the town somewhat yet the steamboats and the Portland, Saco and Portsmouth Railroad, opened in 1842, took much Portland business to Boston. A new railroad connecting with Boston diverted also to that city the trade of northern Vermont, which had previously come through the north of the White Mountains to Portland. The fifth period commenced with the opening of the Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad to Canada, in 1853. To aid in its construction, Portland loaned its credit in bonds to the amount of $2,000,000. This Grand Trunk road brought the city in connection not only with the cities of Canada, but with the vast graingrowing regions of the West. Then came, as necessary adjuncts of the road, a winter line of steamers to Liverpool, and the construction of a new business avenue along the whole water front of the city, a mile long and 100 feet wide, running over tide water, across the heads of wharves. This is Commercial street, the scene of a large wholesale trade in flour, grain and groceries. Then came the building of the system of railroads, now consolidated under the name of the Maine Central, opening to the trade of Portland all parts of the State, and the Lower Provinces of Canada. Then Brown's Sugar House and the Portland Company's Works, and other Manufacturing establishments sprang up, giving employment to hundreds of people.

The financial panic of 1857-8 brought no serious disaster to the business of the city and trade had again attained to a flourishing condition, when the war of the Slaveholder's Rebellion broke out. Portland, as usual, was prompt to the demands of patriotism,-six companies of the First Maine regiment, Colonel Jackson, having been raised here. Later regiments organized in Portland were the 5th, 9th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 17th, and 25th. The latter was a nine-months regiment of Portland boys, led by Col. Francis Fessenden. In all, Portland contributed to the army and navy of the Union during the war, 5,000 men to whom she paid a bounty of $428,970. Of these, 421 lost their lives in battle, or by disease. Her citizens also contributed largely in aid of the sanitary and Christian commissions, and many of her noble women gave their services in nursing the sick and wounded.

One morning in June, 1863, the United States Revenue cutter Caleb Cushing, was missed from her moorings, and Revenue collector Jewett and Mayor MeLellan, promptly manning and arming the steamers Forest City and Chesapeake, found her in the hands of the rebels, becalmed near Green Islands. On discovering the approaching vessels, her captors set her on fire, and took to their boats. She presently blew up and the rebel crew were soon captured by the pursuing steamers, and lodged in Fort Preble, as prisoners of war. During the war, much shipping of Portland had been transferred to the British flag but the business of the city did not otherwise suffer much loss.

On the 4th of July, 1866, a carelessly thrown cracker set fire to a boat-builder's shop on Commercial street, whence the flames were soon communicated to Brown's Sugar House whence it swept on diagonally through the city, spreading like a fan as it went. Entire streets were swept away, includeing massive warehouses, lofty churches, splendid mansions, ancestral houses and the dwellings of the poor, in the oldest and most crowded parts of the city in one common ruin. For nearly half a day, and through the night until the small hours of the morning, the vast volumes of flame and smoke held sway, sending terror and anguish among the whole population. The fire ended near Munjoy's Hill. The morning saw fifteen hundred buildings laid in ashes fifty-eight streets and courts reduced to a wilderness of chimneys, amid which the most familiar inhabitant lost himself ten thousand people made homeless, and ten millions of property destroyed. Villages of tents and barracks sprang up on Munjoy, and generous contributions from abroad flowed in, providing food, shelter and clothing for the penniless.

In rebuilding, old streets were widened and straightened, and new ones opened and, after a lapse of ten years, the waste places were almost wholly rebuilt, far more roomy, convenient and handsome than before. Meantime the increase of the business facilities of the city went on. In 1873, the Boston and Maine Railroad was extended from South Berwick to Portland, taking on its way Old Orchard Beach. In 1875, the Portland and Rochester Railroad completed its connections with Nashua, N. H., and Worcester, Mass. The same year, the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad was completed through the Notch of the White Mountains. In the same period, various manufactures sprang up within the city or in its vicinity, as the rolling of railroad iron, the making of carriages, shoes, matches, stoneware, and drainpipes and these products find a market all over the United States, and, to some extent, in foreign countries. In 1870, Lake Sebago water was introduced by aqueduct all through the city, and the sewerage rendered more complete. Broad and regular streets, handsome and substantial business blocks, elegant and commodious dwellings, good drainage well-lighted streets, pure water, excellent air, convenient conveyance in and out of the city, by horse and steam cars,-numerous shadetrees, unsurpassed views of sea and shore, good schools, well-attended churches, and a moral, industrious, enterprising and courteous people- these render Portland one of the most desirable of cities for a home and business. There are now living in the city a large number of persons over eighty years of age.

Among those who have contributed largely to make Portland what it is in these various respects, must be mentioned the following names: George Cleeves, a first settler and proprietor, and Rev. Thomas Smith, the first have already been mentioned. Not only was Mr. Smith for a long period, the only minister, hut also the only physician in town. Another distinguished citizen of the anti-Revolutionary period was General Jedediah Preble, who had served in the French wars, and at the breaking out of the Revolution, was prevented from being the principal military officer of Massachusetts only by the infirmities of years. Worthy of honorable mention, also, are Theophilus Bradbury and David Wyer, earliest members of Cumberland bar. Samuel Freeman, school-teacher, trader, and Revolutionary patriot, a deacon of the First Parish forty-five years, delegate to the Provincial Congress, Judge of Probate forty-five years, post-master twenty-eight years, president of the Maine Bank and president of Bowdoin College for a number of years, with other offices also the publisher of several law-books. About 1770, Theophilus Parsons, afterwards Chief Justice of Massachusetts, became a citizen, studied law, and was admitted to the Cumberland bar. Sheriff William Tyng, most prominent of the Maine Tories, was also a citizen of this town. A little later was Simon Greenleaf, distinguished as a member of the Cumberland bar, a learned jurist and writer on law Stephen Longfellow, father of the poet, long in the successful practice of the law in the Cumberland courts Prentiss Mellen, chief justice of the State Ezekiel Whitman, member of Congress for four terms, and chief justice of the Supreme Court of Maine Samuel Fessenden, the able lawyer, orator and philanthropist Albion K. Parris, Governor of the State at the age of thirty-three years, and long in successful practice here William Pitt Preble, a judge and Minister to the Netherlands Arthur Ware, a learned writer on Maritime law, and judge of the United States District Court for forty-four years Ether Shepley, long chief justice of the State George F. Shepley, son of Ether, a brave soldier, and later, judge of the United States Circuit Court, who died a few years after his father. Of orators and statesmen of national reputation, Sargent S. Prentiss though he won his reputation in the south-was born here and William Pitt Fessenden, the distinguished U. S. senator and secretary of the Treasury, was always a citizen of this town, lion. George Evans, another U. S. senator from Maine, was for some time a resident, as was also Hon. George T. Davis, a former member of Congress from Massachusetts, and Hon. Horatio King, acting Postmaster General for sometime. Other noted citizens were Commodore Edward Preble, hero of Tripoli Rear Admiral Alden, who served in the war of 1812, and in the Mexican war and Commodore George H. Preble, who has served long and well. Of literary men who were sons or residents, or both, are Henry W. Longfellow, N. P. Willis, John Neal, Nathaniel Peering, Isaac McLellan, Grenville Mellen, Bishop Horatio Southgate, S. B. Beckett, D. C. Colesworthy, Mrs. E. Oakes Smith, Mrs. Elizabeth Akers Allen, J. H. Ingraham, Seba Smith, Charles P. Ilsley, Rev. Elijah Kellogg, George Payson, William Law Symonds, Sarah Payson Willis (Fanny Fern), Mrs. Samuel Coleman, Mrs. Ann S. Stephens, Mrs. Elizabeth (Payson) Prentice, Mrs. Clara Barnes Martin, Mrs. Margaret J. M. Sweat, Prof. Edward S. Morse, Mrs. Abba Goold Woolson, Rev. Dr. Cyrus Bartol, Rev. Dr. J. W. Chickering, Rev. Dr. Samuel Deane, Rev. Dr. Thomas Hill, Rev. Dr. Ichabod Nichols, Rev. Dr. Edward Payson, Rev. Asa Cummings, Rev. W. T. Dwight, Rev. William B. Hayden, Rev. Jason Whitman, Dr. J. W. Mighells, Dr. Isaac Ray, Hon. William Goold, Hon. William Willis, Col. Z. A. Smith, Henry A. S. Dearborn, John A. Poor, William B. Sewall, Walter Wells, and many others. Of artists, Portland has been the residence of Charles Codman, Charles O. Cole, J. R. Tilton, Mrs. Elizabeth Murray, Charles E. Becket, J. G. Cloudman, Harry B. Brown, Frederick Kimball, Miss Maria Becket, John B. Hudson, Charles J. Schumacher, and others. Eminent names among Portland merchants who have passed away, are Matthew Cobb, Asa Clapp, William Chadwick, Albert Newhall, Joseph Cross, Ralph Cross, Arthur McLellan, James Peering, Benjamin Willis, Samuel Trask, Reuben Morton3 and. John B. Brown. [See notice of latter on page 611.]

Portland has eighteen church-edifices, including the cathedrals of the Episcopal and Roman Catholic denominations. There are also as many as twenty-five societies more or less benevolent in their objects, besides several others of an intellectual and social nature.

Portland has six National Banks, with an aggregate capital of $3,150,000. They are the First National Bank, and Casco National Bank, each with a capital of $800,000 Canal National Bank, having a capital of $600,000 Merchants' National Bank and National Trader's Bank, each having a capital of $300,000 and the Cumberland National Bank, with a capital of $250,000. The Maine Savings Bank, in Portland, on the 1st of November, 1880, held in deposits and profits, the sum of $3,181,195.45 and the Portland Savings Bank, at the same date, held $4,480,770.32.

Portland has three daily papers, all well sustained. The Argus-ancient and respectable, and always fresh, bright, readable and democratic the Press, a reliable Republican sheet, always elegant and honorable the Advertiser, the oldest daily paper in the city, but at present, the most concise Republican in politics, but independent in its views. The Portland Sunday Times, is a lively secular weekly, devoted largely to social matters. It is independent in politics. The Morning News is a spirited journal, devoted to reform It is Greenback in politics, but generally independent in its views. Zion's Advocate, an organ of the Baptists, is an excellent denominational paper. The Christian Mirror, the organ of the Congregationalists in Maine, is ably edited, and wholly worthy of its patronage. The Portland Transcript, known to every Maine family, is unsurpassed in its field by any newspaper in the country. The North-East, published monthly, is the organ of the Episcopal church in Maine. The Masonic Token, issued quarterly, by Stephen Berry, is devoted to masonry, and would consequently be very useful to every member of that order. The Helping Hand, a monthly, Published by the Young Men's Christian Association, is well adapted to a worthy purpose. Our Home and Fireside Magazine, published monthly and Saturday by H. Hal-. lett & Co., is devoted almost wholly to stories. The People's Illustrated Journal and The Illustrated Household Magazine, published monthly, by Geo. Stinson & Co., are of the same class and of equal rank. The Globe, published every Saturday, is devoted to local news. The Portland Price Current, issued every Saturday, by M. N. Rich, is a sine qua non to the merchants of the city and its neighborhood. The City Item is a lively little daily, devoted to news. It is Greenback in its politics. The Floral Monthly, issued by W. E. Morton & Co., is a very desirable publication to all cultivators of flowers.


Museums & Historic Sites

History comes alive in Greater Portland—where everything from colonial homes to maritime museums are on display. Museum homes invite visitors to step back in time and gain a greater perspective and respect for the historic forces that continue to influence our lives.

Variety of interactive exhibits & activities for children and families inspiring discovery and imagination.

A popular destination for visitors from all over the world. Gardens open year-round. Cafe & Shop open seasonally.

Hear the mysterious, amazing and amusing inside stories as you explore history and architectural treasures.

Travel back in time to vintage Vacationland. Group tours welcome and available any day by reservation.

Offers a nationally recognized collection of American art in its elegantly appointed galleries in beautiful Rockland.

Tour a former United States military fort built from 1858 to 1864. The fort is now a park, accessible only by boat.

Features innovative exhibitions and public programs that showcase new perspectives and trends in contemporary art.

3rd oldest historical society in U.S. comprised of the Longfellow House, the Brown Library, the Museum & Shop.

Beautiful historic building completed in 1892. Genealogy Research, Library, Heritage Trail, Museum and Archives.

Exhibits, lighthouse & nature cruises, kids' pirate ship, demos, family activities, hands-on fun for everyone.

Scenic train ride along beautiful Casco Bay. Activities, historic railroad cars & exhibits.

Located in the lighthouse keepers' quarters, the museum chronicles the oldest lighthouse in Maine.

Features an operating collection of antique aircraft, automobiles, airplane shows, and more.

The PMA boasts significant holdings of American, European, and contemporary art, as well as iconic works from Maine.

Experience a connection to the past by visiting the world's oldest and largest museum of public transportation.

Explore galaxies, atoms, cells & the sea in our subterranean star dome. We offer shows, classes, & more.

Dedicated to the preservation of Portland’s Eastern Cemetery through activities like walking tours and ongoing education.

This Georgian house connects people to colonial roots and helps discover the relevance of history to our lives.

One of the country's historic homes of the mid-Victorian period, open May through October for tours.


Historic Homes

Those interested in a glimpse of the striking interiors and fine architecture of Greater Portland’s historic homes will find them walking the city’s residential streets, in the Victorian district of the restored commercial buildings in the Old Port, and in the adjacent neighborhoods.

Our region prides itself on constant attention to landmark preservation and revitalization. This deeply-rooted community appreciation of our heritage and historical sites has made the region a destination for both advanced and passive history sightseers.

historical homes have been preserved and have opened their doors to visitors wanting a more intimate view of the lives and living spaces of a bygone age.

Historic Home, Photo Credit: Corey Templeton

Visitors will discover the wonders of a colonial times in a captain’s home – the only pre-Revolutionary home in the city, enjoy guided tours of the home of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and enter into the grandeur of the mid-Victorian period by touring a downtown mansion, filled with original furnishings and exquisitely decorated during the holiday season.

Want to find more historic homes and sites in the area? Check out our list below


History of Old Port along Waterfront in Portland, Maine

The Abenaki Native Americans lived here for millenniums before Portuguese explorer Estêvão Gomez’s discovery in 1524. The next European visitor was Englishman Captain John Smith in 1614. The first of several attempts at settlement began in 1623. In 1786, the town of Portland was established. A key to growth was maritime trade because this is the closest U.S. port to Europe. The harbor’s success accelerated in 1820 when the city became the capital of the new state of Maine. A further boom occurred after 1853. That is when a railroad was connected to Montreal. Portland rapidly became the winter port serving Canada when other harbors in Atlantic Canada and the St. Lawrence River were icebound. After the 1920s, shipments at the wharfs declined and the area deteriorated. In the 1980s, a rebirth began along the waterfront and the Old Port neighborhood. That is what you are experiencing today: a blend of the historic and the new all facing Portland’s Harbor. Most of the vessels you will see are cruise ships, sightseeing tours and lobster boats like those shown here.

86 Commercial St, Portland, ME 04101

Welcome! Encircle Photos is your free travel resource for finding top places to see worldwide. This visual library includes travel guides showing major landmarks with descriptions, maps and addresses. Also explore the world daily with free emails and on Facebook. They feature a different city a week with one photo a day. Let travel photographer Dick Ebert show you the world!


Learn about our contributing partners, and how to become one.

Copyright ©2000-2021 Maine Historical Society, All Rights Reserved.

Many images on this website are for sale on VintageMaineImages.com.

Maine Memory Network is a project of the Maine Historical Society. Except for classroom educational use, images and content may not be reproduced without permission. See Terms of Use.


Remarques

Addeddate 2014-12-16 13:36:35.586128 Bookplateleaf 0005 Call number 31833011876254 Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II External-identifier urn:oclc:record:1046523209 Foldout_seconds 770 Foldoutcount 4 Identifier historyofportlan1632will Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t3rv3m58r Invoice 11 Lccn a 14002451 Ocr ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Page-progression lr Pages 966 Ppi 500 Scandate 20141218142730 Scanner scribe2.indiana.archive.org Scanningcenter indiana